Regardless if you are trying to sell your home in a buyers or sellers market, the key to getting top dollar is making your home as attractive as possible. many of the tips included cost nothing but your time, but they can yield you more money at closing in higher selling prices.
1. Give the exterior a new coat of paint or have the siding pressure washed. Curb appeal is everything in real estate, and if the house is unappealing on the outside, many buyers won’t even consider looking inside regardless how nice it may be. While you are at it, have a professional landscaping service trim trees and make the exterior more presentable.
2. Go rent a storage unit in town and empty out those over packed closets, garage, and basement. Nothing turns off a potential buyer more than seeing a house that has too much clutter. This makes it harder for them to imagine all their stuff in your home.
3. Have an open house party instead of a boring open house. Announce it in the papers, have balloons outside, bake some cookies during the showing, have music playing, liven up the mood and make your buyers feel like they are throwing a party in their own home.
4. Time to make the house less personable. Take down pictures of your family, remove all that clutter from the outside of the refrigerator, and go for a neutral look in all the rooms. The key here is letting the buyer connect with your home rather than having to imagine you not in it.
5. Hire a professional cleaning service to wash the windows, steam clean carpeting, pressure wash floor tiles, scrub bathrooms, and even paint the rooms that need a fresh look. The attention to detail will not go unnoticed.
6. Whenever you are showing your home, take the family and pets and disappear. Nothing can be more uncomfortable than looking at your home while the family is moping around in the living room waiting for them to hurry along.
It doesn’t cost a fortune to make your home more desirable to a potential buyer, it really comes down to making it look like a model house. Creating the atmosphere that allows a potential buyer to instantly see themselves living in that space is the key to getting offers quickly from qualified buyers who fall in love with your home.